Thursday, November 06, 2003

Market Highlights

I had a semi truckload of cattle at the auction market yesterday. Just some old cows, odds and ends calves that didn't go with the rest when I shipped and the dry yearlings I mentioned in a previous post. Everything sold extremely well but I could not believe the amount the yearling heifers brought. They averaged 975 lbs. and brought 97.75 cwt. That is an unbelievable amount of money for this type of critter. Makes me tempted to sell all of my coming 2 year olds if I can get that kind of money. It is almost guaranteed that in another year I will not get this kind of money for drys. But that would hurt my herd in the long run. Always need to be looking at the future in this game. This cattle market is a pretty funny animal.

Be careful that victories do not carry the seed of future defeats.
Ralph W. Sockman