Monday, October 27, 2003

The world and our lives sometimes moves too fast and we need to consider that at times we need to stop and smell the roses.

I had to do a little riding today and move a yearling back to the pasture she belonged in. Normally in the press of time to get things done this would have been a hurry up and get it done job so that I could get on to the next project. Well as is my goal my work is mostly caught up and I was able to take my time and enjoy the horseback ride. I took my time, put her where she belonged and then headed back to the corral.

On the ranch I have many sandstone rock formations and have looked at many of them but amazingly enough not all of them (I have been here basically my whole 40 years and my family has been on the place 90+ years). Well I decided to ride by and look at one rock formation that I had never looked at before since I had the time. Hidden in a pocket that you could not see from a distance was a formation of rocks that to me was amazing and wonderful and caused me to stop and admire the beauty that God left for us to find in our lives.

Maybe we all need to stop, slow down, and find the beauty and wonder that is all around us.

One cannot fix one's eyes on the commonest natural production without finding food for a rambling fancy.
Jane Austen (1775 - 1817)