Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Guilt

I find it amazing that something as big and impersonal as a cow can make a person feel guilty but mine have managed it. I took the main bunch of cows “out in the hills” after I weaned the calves and worked them. There was, and still is, plenty of grass out there to last them for quite awhile. But they have decided that they need something better to eat and are walking the fence trying to come home to where I feed them in the winter.

Now I understand that the grass does not have the nutrients in it at this time of year that it does when it is still green but I have looked them over very closely and they are doing okay for now so I am going to wait for a couple of more weeks to start supplementing them. I could be feeding them supplemental protein like I am the calves and yearlings but is it necessary to walk the fence and make me feel guilty.

Well I guess they are just letting me know there opinion but I am going to be mean and make them stay out there a couple of more weeks before I get them in to start supplementing them so I can try to keep my costs in line. One last time I will say it though. Is it necessary to walk the fence and make me feel guilty.

The very presence of guilt, let alone its tenacity, implies imbalance: Something, we suspect, is getting more of our energy than warrants, at the expense of something else, we suspect, that deserves more of our energy than we’re giving. Melinda M. Marshall