Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Montanans Don't Deserve Scholarships?

When I first saw this article it did not sound too bad. But I couldn't believe it after I read a little more. I was under the impression our Montana university system was here to educate Montana children. Well I guess it appears not.

These new scholarships are such that the number awarded will be limited to residents of Montana but there is no limit on the out-of-state scholarships. To top it off the limited number to Montana students are half the amount as given to the unlimited out-of-state students.

At least these scholarships are not coming out of the massive 12.25% tuition increase this year it is just out of private contributions. Isn't that good news. I just think the University system should worry about Montana kids more than people from out-of-state.

Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Malcolm Forbes