Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Hunters

I always dread hunting season around here with all the hunters roaming around, leaving gates open, shooting livestock, stealing anything that isn't tied down and otherwise creating havoc on a ranch. So far I have been lucky and besides leaving tracks all over because of the light mud here it has been fairly calm. Well today was a waste of a day. Some inconsiderate hunter decided to leave a bunch of my gates open. So I had to go around closing gates and gathering my cattle back up that were in the wrong pastures. People wonder why landowners won't allow them to hunt. Well this is the reason. It is easier to say no hunting than to try to separate the good from the bad.

The cold, inconsiderate of persons, tingles your blood, benumbs your feet, freezes a man like an apple. Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803–1882)