Sunday, November 09, 2003

Police State

I know many people out there will not agree with me but this just sounds like a police state on its way to future atrocities. There are ways of checking for drugs without waving guns in children's faces and telling them to lay on the floor while you search for drugs. So that the police can intimidate them is sure not the reason I send my kid to school. I send them there for an education. I guess the education now includes training in how to be arrested and intimidated by the police.

There are only two choices: A police state in which all dissent is suppressed or rigidly controlled; or a society where law is responsive to human needs. If society is to be responsive to human needs, a vast restructuring of our laws is essential. William Orville Douglas (1898–1980)