Saturday, November 22, 2003

Intelligence

I saw this headline, “Congress Approves Intelligence Bill “, and for a second I got very excited that finally our Congress was doing something right and was mandating that there be some intelligence shown in our hallowed halls of the Capital.

Of course I realized right away what this story was about. It is a simple funding bill financing the CIA, NSA, parts of the FBI, State, and Defense Departments. What I found interesting though was a provision in this “funding bill” that would expand on the powers of the “Patriot Act” and allow the FBI to searches, without a warrant of more businesses they suspect might be helping terrorist. I guess the laugh is on me. I thought we had a right against unreasonable searches and seizures as granted under the 4th Amendment to the Constitution. I guess that is a thing of the past.

Having intelligence is not as important as knowing when to use it, just as having a hoe is not as important as knowing when to plant. ATTRIBUTION: Chinese proverb.