Tuesday, November 25, 2003

New Disease

Well we have a new disease we have to deal with now, as if our country doesn’t have enough problems, and it is named affluenza. This newly diagnosed illness, discussed in this article, affects the well to do in our society and is characterized by "a dysfunctional relationship with wealth, or the pursuit of it."

I guess since I don’t have this problem I don’t understand it, I personally think it is fairly humorous, and I’m afraid I don’t have much sympathy for them. It sounds to me like they could use a good dose of The Serenity Prayer:

GOD, grant me the serenity
to accept the things
I cannot change,
Courage to change the
things I can, and the
wisdom to know the difference.

The only problem I see with this new disease is some twisted individual will decide to get it classified as a disability and then, affluenza will be protected by the Americans with Disability Act and they will be able to draw SSI. I guess if this would happen the joke would be on me.

Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.
Eddie Cantor (1892 - 1964)