Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Winter has Arrived

I have been busy the past few days getting the cattle where I want them for winter. The recent snow storm only put about 4 inches on the ground but I decided it was time to get the cows in out of the pine needles, since they can cause a cow to abort her calf, and start feeding them some protein. I got all the little bunches moved around and opened the gates to let the cows in and they are coming in at a fast and furious rate.

Everything is now getting cake for their protein supplement and winter feeding has begun. I will probably start feeding the calves and yearlings hay the week after thanksgiving so that they are getting plenty of nutrition since they are still growing. I am just curios if this snow is going to melt off or is it here for the winter. The National Weather Service predicted a high temp today of 39 degrees and the highest it got here was 24. It doesn’t melt much snow at that temperature. O well that’s the breaks.

See, Winter comes, to rule the varied year,
Sullen, and sad, with all his rising train;
Vapours, and clouds, and storms. Be these my theme,
These, that exalt the soul to solemn thought,
And heavenly musing. Welcome, kindred glooms!
Congenial horrors, hail!

James Thomson (1700–1748)